All Souls Parish is blessed with a beautiful old building. But beautiful old buildings require expensive maintenance and repair to remain in good working order. Over the years, the church deferred maintenance during lean times and, more recently, conducted extensive repair work using operating income, endowment income and the donations of generous parishioners to repair stained glass windows, tuck point walls, reduce moisture penetration, repair and replace radiators and on and on.
Nevertheless, there is still much to be done. Below is a list of some of the major capital projects the church faces in two categories: Discretionary and Non-Discretionary. Both lists are in priority order.
The non-discretionary category includes some work that cannot be deferred indefinitely and the longer it is deferred, the more costly the ultimate repair may be. It also includes repair or replacement of systems that experts have advised us may break irreparably soon.
All cost estimates are just that: estimates. But some do have the benefit of actual proposals offered by contractors over the last few years.
If you are interested in learning more or in underwriting the full or partial cost of any of these projects below, please see the Rector or Senior Warden.
Non-Discretionary Repair Projects
- Eliminate the moisture penetration in the basement walls along Woodley Place. Estimated Cost: $225,000.
- Repair/replace non-functioning radiators/heating in the administration building: $15,000 - $75,000
- Tuck pointing the north, south, and east walls of the nave and the bell tower. Estimated cost: $200,000 - $500,000.
- New air conditioning system for the undercroft. Estimated cost: $35,000
- New Heating/Cooling System for the Nave: $200,000 - $375,000
- Exterior painting: $30,000
- Stained glass window restoration for the window above the altar: $9,800
- Refreshing the paint in the Undercroft: $3,500
- New pew cushions for the nave: $15,000
- Replace conference room carpet: $2,000
- New organ properly sized for the nave and voiced appropriately for the style of worship at the church. Estimated cost: $750,000 - $1,000,000
- Central air conditioning and new energy efficient windows for the administration building. Estimated cost: $40,000 - $75,000